Scots Uniting Church
Scots Uniting Church is a Victorian Gothic style stone church completed in 1892, prominently positioned on lower York Street.
Following the completion of the railway link to Perth in the 1890's, Albany experienced a rapid growth in population and wealth. Many substantial buildings were constructed in this period including the Albany Town Hall, Old Post Office and Old Court House.
Scots Church is an important landmark that represents a key period of development for the Albany region.
Prior to 1890, the local Anglican Presbyterian congregation would meet in the Albany Court House or Albany Town Hall. Desiring their own church, Melbourne architect Evander McIver was invited to draw suitable plans, with W. Sangster contracted to complete the building. In 1891 the foundation stone was laid. The opening ceremony was held on 30th March 1892. The final cost of the church was 1416.
The church is constructed of well crafted local granite, has a strong gabled form, rendered buttresses and heavily timbered doors, topped with a corrugated iron roof. In 1969, a hall, kitchen, vestry and two rooms were added, built from local brick.
Located prominently on York Street, opposite St. Johns Anglican Church, Scots Church is an important landmark that represents a key period of development for the Albany region.
Formally known as Scots Presbyterian Church, it was renamed Scots Uniting Church after the formation of the Uniting Church of Australia in 1977, which merged the Presbyterian Church of Australia with the Congregational Union and the Methodist Church of Australasia
Scots Uniting Church continues to hold services on the first Sunday of each month at 10:00 am. Throughout the year. a variety of market days and social events are held in the hall,