Convoy Walk is an interpretive journey of the ships that gathered in King George Sound in 1914 to take ANZAC troops to the battlefields of World War 1.
Albany was chosen as a gathering point for the first 2 convoys of ships carrying troops and horses to Europe and Gallipoli, due to its large, sheltered harbour and existing port facilities.
Albany was chosen as a gathering point for the first 2 convoys of ships.
Some 40,000 troops and 17,000 horses were carried aboard 54 Australian and New Zealand ships in the 2 largest convoys to leave Australia. All of these men embarked from East coast ports.
Between November 1914 and May 1919 over 240 troop and hospital ships made port at Albany, with many sick or injured treated at Albany Hospital. Memorial Park Cemetery on Middleton Road is the resting place of some who died.
Today, Convoy Walk features 21 interpretive signs giving information about the vessels that made up the convoy and their personnel. The Walk leads from the parade ground of Princess Royal Fortress to Convoy Lookout at the summit of Mount Adelaide.
An aluminium and granite commemorative sculpture by Arif Satar and Audrey Fernandes-Satar entitled "Longing, Memory, Sight" is inscribed with text from original letters and postcards sent by Australian soldiers to their loved ones.
Convoy Walk was officially opened on November 1, 2014. It is located inside the grounds of Princess Royal Fortress, adjacent to the National ANZAC Centre.
Article updated 02/09/2015