Albany Town Hall
Albany Town Hall, opened in 1888, is an important civic building defining the centre of Albany.
Designed by Adelaide firm Henderson, Marriot and Co. the foundation stone was laid in 1886. Constructed by contractors Harrison and Hamilton, the hall was officially opened 18 months later on June 1, 1888, by Mayor W G Knight.
Between 1981 and 1986 the building was converted into a comfortable 310 seat theatre
It has since been the venue for many community events such at council meetings, theatre, musical performances, cinema, dances and public gatherings of many types.
The two storey building is of granite masonry with stucco decoration, features a four-faced clock tower and is topped by a domed roof and flagpole.
With details such as corner pilasters and quoins, elliptical details to window openings, pediments and decorative urns, the hall is a lasting example of Victorian Free Classical architecture.
The original design had offices and council chambers on the ground floor, with a large public hall above.
Between 1981 and 1986 the building was converted into a comfortable 310 seat theatre with dressing rooms and stairs added in an extension at the rear. Additionally, the Lesser Hall was created from unused office space and improved amenities and a lift were added. The lobby and front office space were also redesigned.
Today the Town Hall is used for exhibitions, seminars, workshops and meetings, but no longer for performances. This role is now filled by the recently constructed, and much larger, Albany Entertainment Centre located on the foreshore.
Article updated 02/09/2015.